More and more Professional Carpet Cleaners are diversifying their business. They are adding additional cleaning services to increase revenues & profits. Two questions must be asked if you are going to diversify your business:
1) What additional services do I want to offer?
2) What equipment do I need to purchase?
What additional services do I want to offer?
The first thing you need to do is sit down and decide which additional services your company would like to offer. What is your target market? Do you currently focus on more residential or commercial. If residential, what services would residential customers want? If commercial, what services would commercial customer want? Stay in your current target market. If 80% of your business is residential, do not offer an additional service that services more commercial. You want to add a service that will not add much marketing costs to your business. Trying to market to commercial customers in the above scenario would only add tremendous marketing costs, while marketing your additional services to the residential market that you currently focus 80% on could be as easy as just adding it to your existing marketing pieces, brochures, business cards, etc.
Here are a couple of suggestions on services:
1) Air Duct Cleaning. This is a perfect add on for professional carpet cleaners. You would think that HVAC guys would dominate this area. However, most air duct cleaners are professional carpet cleaners. This is because many homeowners do not have a regular HVAC guy. However, many homeowners have a regular carpet cleaning company they trust. If they trust you for carpet cleaning, they tend to trust you for air duct cleaning.
2) Tile & Grout Cleaning. This is a good add on for both residential and commercial markets. Many homes have ceramic tile in their kitchens, hallways, and baths. This is another surface your company can be cleaning along with the carpet and furniture you already clean.
3) Ceiling Cleaning. This is probably more of a commercial market. Most homeowners do not have professionals clean their ceilings. However, many commercial establishments have acoustical ceiling tile that gets filthy. Rather than replacing, many commercial establishments are realizing that it is cheaper to get them cleaned and maintained.
What equipment do I need to purchase?
Air Duct Cleaning: First of all, you may want to read up on air duct cleaning. Here is a great website about air duct cleaning: www.ductcleaning-equipment.com. Recommended equipment: SpinVax 1000 Air Duct Cleaning System.
Tile & Grout Cleaning: Recommended equipment: Tile & Grout Cleaning Equipment
Ceiling Cleaning: Recommended equipment: Ceiling Cleaning Equipment